The Art of Storytelling
by Jeff Davidson
– Storytelling is something that has been done in every culture throughout history.
– Storytelling is essentially using props or anything to get your point across when sharing something.
– But good storytelling is not merely using a prop as it is involving their own lives into that of the listeners.
– Good storytellers formulate images in the mind of their listeners so they can imagine and be with them in the story in order that the listeners can share the experience with the speaker.
– It is important to understand that the audience speaks to the storyteller just as much as the storyteller speaks to the audience. With their movements, their eyes, sitting up or different cues with their body that communicate with the storyteller.
– Good storytellers are not just giving a performance to the audience as much as they are involving the audience.
– The storyteller must not get so wrapped up in his story that he loses the audience and does not take them along with him. If he does not make eye contact, the right amount of pauses, etc., the audience will drift off.
– If you understand the motivation of why you are sharing the story more than just the fact that you’re sharing the story, it will greatly help you get your story across to the people.
– If a picture is worth 1,000 words, then a story is worth many thousands if not millions.