The 7 Habits Signature Series
Habit 1 Be Proactive
by Stephen Covey
– To know and not to do is really not to know.
– The results we get in life depends on what we do.
– Habits are powerful and they determine our level of effectiveness or ineffectiveness.
– We must be proactive, then begin with the end goal in mind, and then we must put first things first.
– If you want significant breakthroughs, you must change your paradigm, how you see things. If you change how you see things, you would change how you feel and act.
– It’s not what people do to us that hurts us, it is our chosen response that hurts us.
– Learn to be happy with what you have, not with what you will have.
– The normal paradigm is to think that everything around us must change before we change, but the proactive paradigm is to say I must change and then everything around me will change.
– When we blame situations and people’s for our problems, we are not being responsible – “response-able”. We must take responsibility in order to change things.
– If you want to improve any situation, you must improve the one thing that you have control of, yourself.
– Happiness like unhappiness is a proactive choice.
– If you start thinking that the problem is out there, you must stop yourself because your thought is the problem.
– We are responsible for our own effectiveness and happiness.
– Knowing that we are responsible (response-able) is key to our effectiveness.