Romans 10:13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved. 14 How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
1. The Great Commission is considered to be church history instead of a command to the church
Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of Why aren’t more called to missions? Summit 2017, Page 1! of 1! 0 the Holy Ghost: 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
a. We all know about this verse and believe it
b. It is right in there with Jonah and the whale and the world wide flood
c. Just can’t see how it relates to us
2. People aren’t looking to the field they are just chewing the fat about the need
John 4:35 Say not ye, There are yet four months, and then cometh harvest? behold, I say unto you, Lift up your eyes, and look on the fields; for they are white already to harvest.
a. Somehow we don’t see beyond our family, our area, or our church
b. We think enough is already being done
c. Actually we are not even praying that He will send forth laborers Matthew 9:38 Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that he will send forth
labourers into his harvest.
d. Actually looking and seeing the needs around the world might result in a call
3. People doubt that there would really be an eternal hell
a. Would a loving God really allow people to spend an eternity in hell II Thessalonians 1:8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know
not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ: 9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;
b. Some how everything will just work out
c. Hell is just something we tell people but can’t really be true
4. The good has become the enemy of the excellent
Philippians 1:10 That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ;
a. A lot of good and even great things have pushed the excellent out of the way
b. That our country be moral is great, marriage honored, abortion hated, same sex marriage rejected
c. We even turn Matthew 6:33 into something it was never meant to be But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
i. This has become seek the family and then God
ii. Seek your future then God
d. Another passage often twisted Philippians 1:21 For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
5. It is too far out of our comfort zone
a. It is not socially acceptable to give your life a living sacrifice
Romans 12:1 I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.
b. We need a bigger salary, a nicer car, a bigger home, and better retirement
c. Aren’t we being selfish to just run off on some adventure
6. How could people living in a vacuum expect to be called
a. People hardly know what the Great Commission is
b. They rarely seen beyond themselves John 3:18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because, he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
c. They think that the entire world has the gospel and doesn’t want it just like this wicked country
d. If you never hear it preached, never visit the field it never dawns on you that God might be wanting to talk to you
7. We doubt that God could really use even them
Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.
a. We might even dream of being used but just don’t believe we could
b. We believe God can and will with others
c. We are afraid to get out of the boat, risk our life, to do what we can only fantasize about
8. We do not see the eternal II Corinthians 4:18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things
which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.
a. We can’t see any thing in the spiritual realm and that feels bad next to the guy that has something substantive he is doing with his life
b. We believe in the things of God but feel we need a real job
c. We simply can’t work in a job that has no real gauges of work and success
9. We consider missions to be just one of the ministries of the church
a. There is so much more to do than just missions
b. Why the big push for missions when it is the same whether across the street or across the sea Why aren’t more called to missions? Summit 2017,
c. It is all the same so no need to get so worked up and make an emotional decision
10. No one has ever helped us see the path from where we are and what we have felt to the ability to make it happen
a. Maybe you have dreamed of doing something great but just don’t know how
b. Maybe your friends, family, wife, are all pushing you to stay in what is familiar instead of leaping out
c. Maybe they thing you are running away from something or just want adventure
d. If you want help, we can help you. We can show you step by step till you are realizing your dream
e. There is a place in the world for you
f. Realize missionaries are just people like you that sold out to God and He is using
g. Know that someone can do what you are doing, you can train them
What might help you know if you were called?
1. Start reading everything you can get your hands on about missionaries and what God is doing around the world
2. Get involved with the missionary program of your church, yokefellows, prayer letter, mission’s trips etc
3. Meet and hear every missionary you can. Learn all about what God is doing
4. Get involved in all the ministry you can in your church to get the gospel to people
5. Go on a Vision Tour, short term mission’s trip
6. Go over for an internship over seas
7. Get involved in giving to missions through your church and
8. Don’t quit, just do each day what you know to do that pleases God and gets the gospel to the world
9. Pray over a world map
10.Be sensitive to the Holy Spirit for any direction He might give you