The Purity Principle
by Randy Alcorn
– Purity is always wise and impurity is always unwise. Impurity brings consequences.
– Impurity is avoided by the fear of the Lord. Many other motives will fail.
– Sex is a gift from God. Just as fire, it can do immense good or immense bad.
– Who owns your body? You are not your own, you were bought with a price (I Cor. 6:20)
– Sexual sins are different from others in that it not only has grave consequences, but it is against your own body.
– You are targeted by the devil. He cannot take you to hell but he can do his best to destroy your life right now.
– We tend to be more vulnerable when we are tired, discouraged, or angry with our spouse – and don’t think that the devil is not aware this too.
– There is really nothing private, God always knows and things come out. Stay pure.
– Be self-controlled and alert because the devil is looking to devour and destroy
– 1 Peter 5:8
– Temptations always look good, otherwise they would not be tempting. But the One who lives inside of us is greater than the one who lives in the world (1 John 4:4).
– Often we say we want purity, but then we make choices to sabotage that.
– If we want different consequences, we must make different decisions. We must put up boundaries in our lives.
– Proverbs 4:23 — “Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.”
– Our strongest sex organ is our brain, so what we think will make us pure or impure. Jesus said not only adultery is wrong but the thought of, the looking, is wrong as well.
– Think about the right things — Philippians 4:8-9.
– If we only try to stop looking and thinking about things, we will not succeed. We have to look to Christ and He will help us change. Filling ourselves with His Word will transform us from the wrong to the right.
– Stop feeding lust in your life.
– Men that are married to beautiful women have just as much likeliness of looking at pornography or lusting over women as anyone else. The reason is because it is not a physical problem, it is a spiritual and mental problem.
– If you lust, you will soon find your adulteress; whether physical or digital, whether on a screen or in person.
– Make a covenant with your eyes – Job 31:1. He made a covenant between him and God and that included his eyes.
– Proverbs 4:14-15 — “Enter not into the path of the wicked, and go not in the way of evil men. Avoid it, pass not by it, turn from it, and pass away.”
– Genesis 39:12 — run from temptation, don’t see how close you can get to it.
– II Timothy 2:22 — “Flee also youthful lusts”
– It is easier to avoid temptation then it is to resist it.
– Time with God is the fountain from which holiness, joy, and life flows.
– Psalm 119:11 — hide His word in your heart by memorizing it.
– Titus 2:11-12 — “Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world”
– Why is it that we would be surprised that our son gets a girl pregnant when we let him watch movies with immoral scenes consistently at home?
– Proverbs 8:13 — “The fear of the Lord is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.”
– Matthew 5:27-30 – Jesus says go to radical measures to cut the sin out of your life.
– If it means that you have to throw out your TV, get rid of your computer, quit going to sports games or whatever extreme it may be, then so be it! But determine to be pure!
– It is a sin to put ourselves in a position where we will very likely commit sin (Romans 13:14). If going to a certain spot or doing a certain activity puts you at risk, whether looking or being tempted, than stop doing that activity!
– Remember that if you want a different outcome, you must begin to make different choices.
– If you are falling, get rid of what is tripping you up.
– Christian marriages face the same struggles that non-Christian marriages face, but the difference is that we have supernatural help.
– Rekindle your attraction to your mate. Appetites can be cultivated. What you focus on will be what you like.
– Train your eyes to stay away from pictures and focus on your spouse.
– Proverbs 5:18-19 — be captivated by your wife’s love.
– Lust thrives on secrecy. Nothing kills lust so quickly as discovering it instead of keeping it secret.
– Have accountability partners that can and will help you. The more visible a Christian leader becomes, the more accountability that he needs (although sadly it is usually less he has). Have 911 friends that are there to help you.
– If we plant purity today, we will reap a harvest of joy later.
– We do not have to live with regret