by Dale Carnegie
– There’s a big difference between listening and hearing. Hearing can be done involuntarily but listening is hearing and understanding.
– You can get people interested in you by being interested in them; learn to listen.
– There are seven different kind of listeners:
1. The Preoccupied — worried about everything.
2. The Impatient — they can’t sit still and listen.
3. The Interrupters — they are waiting to jump in and say something whenever you pause.
4. The Whatever’s — they don’t care what you say.
5. The combative’s — they are not listening for understanding but for ammunition to use against you.
6. The Analyst — they are listening to fix whatever you say.
7. The Engager’s — these are the ones that listen with their eyes, ears and heart. Be this kind of listener!
– Most people do not listen to learn, they listen to reply.