How to Get Ahead in the World Today
By Dale Carnegie
– Decide — no one can really make you do things, only you will decide.
– Relationships — your success in life many times will depend on how you can get along with other people.
– Learn — you can learn from any man if you will only
– Habit — habit is nothing more than repetition. Here’s how to develop great habits and get ahead:
1. Take inventory of yourself — ask others what good habits you should have and what bad habits you should get rid of.
2. Start yourself off with all the enthusiasm that you have. Make your achievements your top priority and go at it with enthusiasm.
3. Grasp every opportunity as one to achieve your goals.
4. Don’t make excuses for yourself — if you want to form a new habit, don’t make excuses, just work at it.
5. Make definitive commitments — athletes make commitments whether difficult or not. Tell others about it and make yourself follow through.
– Enthusiasm will make up for many other areas.
– Determination — hard work will get you somewhere, just determine and begin doing it. Many don’t stick at something long enough to see it succeed. Make your mind up and you will get ahead almost before you know it.
– Fear and courage — fear exist mainly in your mind. Courage has more to do with mind than strength, number and other areas. Do what you are afraid to do and the fear of it will be conquered.
– According to a Carnegie study, 15% of one’s success depends on superior knowledge and 85% is due to superior personality.
– Poised — it’s surprising how many lack poise, but it is important to learn and obtain it. Just learn to think about others and not yourself. When you are in the presence of others, forget about yourself and what your interests and involve yourself totally in the other person.
– Organize your work — learn to avoid distractions. Focus on one thing at a time. Have a to-do list and work at accomplishing the list.
– Time — how you spend it will determine where you will be in 5 years from now. Some have more talents, better position, more money or better looking, but all of us have the same amount of time. We all have the same amount of time but do not all use it wisely. Your time is the most valuable thing you success, make it work for you.
– Become a friendlier person:
1. Don’t criticize, complain or condemn
2. Give honest, sincere appreciation
3. Arouse interest in other people.
4. Become genuinely interested in other people.
6. Remember that a person’s name is the sweetest sound in any language
7. Be a good listener
8. Talk in terms of the other person’s interest
9. Make the other person feel important and do it sincerely
– Be a leader:
1. Begin with praise and honest appreciation
2. Call attention to people’s mistakes indirectly
3. Talk about your own mistakes before criticizing the other person
4. Ask questions instead of giving direct orders
5. Let the other person save face
6. Praise the slightest improvement and every improvement
7. Give the other person a fine reputation to work up to
8. Use encouragement
9. Make the other person happy about doing what you suggested
– How to handle worry
1. Get all the facts
2. Weigh all the facts before coming to a decision
3. Once a decision is reached, act on the decision
4. Write out and answer the following questions:
A. What is the problem?
B. What are the causes of the problem?
C. What are the solutions?
D. What is the best possible solution
5. Keep busy
6. Use the law of averages to outweigh the worry
7. Cooperate with the inevitable
8. Decide how much anxiety something is worth and do not give it any more
9. Don’t worry about the past