When Young Men Are Tempted?
by Bill Perkins and Randy Southern
– God does not oppose sex, He approves and celebrates it.
– God gave you a sexual appetite.
– Sex completes, makes whole, but God made that for marriage.
– James 1:17 fits this category.
– 1 Corinthians 7:2 — sex is for marriage
– Rom 12:1-2 — your body belongs to God; resist temptation
– Know your enemy — the devil will use all to destroy you
– The devil wants you to doubt God’s plan for you and sex.
– Before playing a sport you have to place boundaries, and you need to do that before marriage as well.
– 1 Corinthians 6:18 — run from or you’ll be blown up and killed
– Colossians 3:5 — Sexual sins will destroy you
– Your fight is mental and spiritual, not just physical. – 1 Thessalonians 4:3-5,7; 1 Corinthians 6:19-20
– Living a holy life means you have to say no to the screams that your body gives you.
– Is masterbation a sin?
1. What are you thinking about when you do it? Matthew 5:28
2. How much control do you have over it? Does your life revolve around when, where and the uncontrolled urges to masterbate? 1 Corinthians 6:12. If you are controlled by your masturbation or if it takes up much of your alone time, you are being mastered by it.
3. What’s it doing to your view of sex? It affects many guys when they get married — how they view or even have sex.
– Our thoughts are seeds that grow into actions; our thoughts become rituals
– Sexual compulsions bring down the greatest of guys.
– We have died to sin (Romans 6:2), so it’s no longer our master. We are no longer slaves to sin. Although no longer our master, it’s still our enemy.
– Don’t treat your compulsion like a friend, treat it like the enemy that it is.
– You cannot rely on your own strength and restraint, you have to depend on God. You are hopelessly outnumbered.
– Romans 7:24 — Paul wasn’t ready to quit fighting sin even though it wasn’t easy. Don’t quit, don’t give up, keep fighting.
– You are still loved by God, no matter how many times you mess up or have messed up. He loves you unconditionally. The devil will use your shame, guilt or anything else against you, making you think that God doesn’t love or accept you.
– If you’re going to defeat your sexual habits, you have to be committed. It is not easy and you better count the cost.
– Check out the consequences of your sexual sins and the blessings of your sexual purity. Write them down and think about them, both the negative and positive.
– You cannot only turn from the sexual sins and expect to be ok, you have to turn from them and turn to God. If you do not turn to God, you will fall back into the pit again.
– Don’t give lust a foothold. It’s easy to think that looking or just one time will not affect you, but lust will become your master a little at a time. Romans 6:16
– The Temptation Cycle:
1. Enticement — James 1:14. It allures you and draws you in. You are allured out of your safety area, your lust is fired up and you follow. 1 Peter 1:13 teaches us that we need to be prepared if we want to beat this enticement.
2. Conception — James 1:15. The seed takes root and begins to grow. We must get rid of the rituals (channel surfing, surfing the internet, being alone, watching TV or looking at a device after a certain hour, etc). Think about what rituals you have and break them.
3. Birth. If you allow the rituals to continue, then habits and lifestyle are birthed.
4. Death — James 1:15. Your lust promises joy, life and intimacy, but the reality is that it is a lie and ends in death. Instead of joy it brings shame and instead of life it brings death.
– Change your thought patterns by memorizing Scripture and thinking on what God wants you to think about — Philip. 4:8
– 1 Corinthians 6:18 — run from the sexual temptations; they will only hurt you.
– Prayer. We think that intimacy is through that picture, act or thought, but that is not real intimacy and leaves us empty. God offers true intimacy with Him and we can have that through prayer (Psalm 145:18; Matthew 7:7-8). The more you stay intimate with Christ, the less likely you are to want or run to the fake intimacy the devil and lust offers.
– Galatians 2:20 — you are crucified, let Him live and have priority in your life.
– Journal. Set aside a few minutes every day to write down some things and include a prayer so that you can look back and see how God helped, blessed and answered those prayers.