Problems of Christian Leadership
By John Stott
1. The Problem of Discouragement
– We must persevere under the pressure
– 2 Cor. 12:7 — we have weaknesses in our flesh. God could take them away but does not have to take them away. His power is mighty in our weakness.
2. The Problem of Self-discipline
– We must retain spiritual refreshment
– Some of our spiritual problems could be physical problems… we must to take time off and get the needed rest.
– Learn the discipline of rest
– Learn the discipline of devotions — find a reading plan and go through the Bible as well as time to pray.
3. The Problem of Relationships.
– We must learn to treat people with respect.
– Rom 14:7 — No man lives and dies to himself.
– No man is an island.
– Treat people as Christ treats people
– Treat people as unto Christ — Col. 3:17,23
– Listen to others, it shows respect and is productive.
4. The Problem of Youth
– Learn to be a leader while young.
– Be an example in your youth — 1 Timothy 4:16
– Many belittle youth, so act responsible and respectful.
– Grow in spiritual maturity.
– Practice what you preach.
– Treat older men as fathers and older women as mothers; younger women as sisters and younger men as brothers.