Ego is the Enemy
by Ryan Holiday
– Your worst enemy is that which lives inside of you, your ego.
– Ego is the sense of superiority that goes beyond ability or talent.
– Some learn humility and some choose ego.
– Impressing people is much different from being impressive.
– Having a position of authority is much different from being in authority.
– Are you being selfish or selfless?
– To become great and stay great, athletes and professionals know that they must have a coach. You have to keep learning to become better and stay better.
– It requires humility to being an eternal student. You can’t learn anything if you think you know everything.
– Most people forget about those that cleared the way for them.
– Arrogance is a lie because it makes you think that you are better than you really are.
– You can’t make a reputation on what you are going to do.
– We think if we are humble, we’ll finish last and be walked all over.
– Ego makes one think they are better and the rules don’t apply to you.
– Genghis Khan was one of the greatest warriors, and much was because he learned from everyone and therefore became better.
– Be a student; every situation has a lesson to teach you.
– Amateurs stays the same but a professional learns and becomes better.
– It’s not about beating the other guy but being the best you possible.
– Ego says you need everything and there’s no stop to what you’ll do or how much you should get.
– Ego is our own worst enemy, it hurts us and those around us.
– Ego needs honor, recognition and titles; confidence can wait and go without.
– Ego tells us that meaning comes from activity.
– We say we have to stand up for ourselves, but do we really need to do that?
– The bigger the ego, the harder you’ll fall.
– Ego feels that it needs to be in control and has to measure up to what everyone thinks you are, but it end sup destroying.
– Ego is a haze that disconnects us from reality. It makes us think we know everything so there’s no room for growth.
– Every day you will face failure, success or inspiration… and ego is almost always present.
– We should want to be better, but not at the price of being motivated by ego.
– Ego makes you think that being successful in one area makes you successful in every area, so everything you touch turns into gold. But this mindset will be your ruin.