How to Pray
by R.A. Torrey
- Prayer is important because the devil is our enemy and does not sleep.
- We have not because we ask not
- why is it that we see so few saved, so little accomplished, etc? We have not because we ask not.
- Mighty men of the Bible and outside of the Bible are all the men of prayer.
- Prayer played a very important role in the life of our Lord – Mark 1:35; Luke 6:12
- Prayer is what God chose to use for receiving from him – Hebrews 4:16; John 15:24
- Prayer is communion with our Savior and in his presence is where Joy is – Psalm 16:11
- Prayer is the way that we rid of anxiety and have the peace of God that passes all understanding – Philippians 4:6-7
- We are to pray to be ready for His coming.
- In answer to prayer he forgives – Psalm 51
- In answer to prayer, he gives wisdom – James 1:5
- Prayer brings power to our work – prayer often avails where everything else fails.
- Prayer brings blessings to the church
- There is special power in prayer. If there’s power in individual prayer, there’s something very special in united prayer.
- When we least feel like praying sometimes we most need to pray.
- Many obstacles in Prayer: lack of forgiveness, stinginess, problems between spouses, lack of faith, etc.
- The Lord teaches us to pray in the morning, at night, alone, and when we are busy. And when we are most busy we most need to pray